Gajar Ka Halwa, commonly known as carrot halwa or Gajar Pak, is a famous dessert’ from India. While the dish is from India, everyone throughout the world enjoys it. Clearly, we can call it as one of the best desserts from India
It is mainly prepared from carrots, milk, sugar,almonds and cardamom for its aroma.
Due to these aromas and taste, the dessert is eaten across all festivals like Eid, Diwali, Holi and Raksha Bandhan. It is served hot during the winter.
The dessert tastes even better when served with vanilla icecream. The creamy texture of the halwa and the icecream further elevates your taste buds.
The gajar ka halwa was first introduced during the period of the Mughals and the name originates from the Arabic word “Halwa”, which literally means “sweet”.
There are many different type’s of halwa’s, however, Gajar ka halwa is the classic variation of the Dessert.
Ingredients for Gajar Ka Halwa:
- Almond and cashew for garnish
- First, Wash the carrots thoroughly
- Then, Rinse, peel and grate the carrots
- Take a large pan and turn on the heat
- Add a small amount of ghee and wait till it heats up
- Now add the well rinsed and grated carrots in the pan and stir well
- After a minute, add milk and boil the entire mixture.
- Then, add sugar
- Now, Stir all the ingredients and cook on low flame
- Keep stirring the mixture for about 4-5 minutes
- Now, cover the pan with the lid and wait for it to cook for about 5 minutes
- Most importantly, make sure you keep stirring in between to prevent sticking of the mixture
- Next, add the garnish like cardamom, almonds and cashews as it elevates the taste of the halwa
- Also, add cream and stir well again
- Keep cooking till the milk vaporizes
- Finally, garnish with a bit of dry fruits
- Our Gajar Ka Halwa is ready